Reflective practice (RUDAI Thing #13)

The last RUDAI tasks were about networking and building a professional brand.

I first heard of "professional brand" whilst doing the MA course at the University of Sheffield. I admit that my first reaction was "Ok, this is like running a business!". I was skeptical at first and rather reluctant to commit to a...brand. Not to mention that I had no idea how or where to start!

Then job hunting began and I had the choice either to set up an online presence and reach out to as many people (employers) as possible or just go the traditional way. Fortunately, I decided in favour of the first. So, I polished my LinkedIn profile adding more details about my work experience, studies, certificates, courses, interests, etc. and I searched online groups I could join to read news, find job applications, exchange ideas and opinions, and meet colleagues.

The first online group I joined on LinkedIn was INALJ. It did me good to be part of this group. I learned what was going on in the world, about other professionals' experience and advice, news around available jobs, etc. I also joined the Library Think Tank - #ALATT on Facebook, which is a public group of information professionals around the world exchanging news, ideas thoughts and photographs on our profession, libraries, books, etc. And I am still a member of the Library Group, iSchool (University of Sheffield)a private group on Facebook for graduates of the Library School of the University of Sheffield. It is mostly used to announce job vacancies, news on conferences, seminars or courses and stories related to the library world. Furthermore, I volunteered for SLA Europe, the Special Libraries' Association European chapter, becoming the group's blog editor and staying in the post for around two years. This was a useful experience as I "met" many people online and had a view of events that go around in the professional world.

Reflecting on all these, I would say that I have managed to have a small digital footprint in the vast world of libraries on the Internet. I cannot say that my brand is perfect or that I have achieved to make myself visible out there. I still need to try further; contribute more on online groups, keep up a personal blog where any ideas and thoughts could be open to colleagues. There is no personal branding strategy, I'm afraid. But this course has been a good start where blogging is concerned and giving tips on how to improve one's online presence. I could use Twitter more to follow professional bodies, like CILIP or SLA and take part on online discussions and fine pages and groups on Facebook to expand my online networking. I am a CILIP member so I could start attending more of their seminars and webinars and perhaps join one of their sub-groups. 

Face to face networking has not been easy for me. I feel more comfortable in online circles and I feel I can contribute more on Facebook and Twitter. Personal interaction has its advantages, of course and people remember someone they meet in the real world easier. The RUDAI course has definitely given me some food for thought for the next year! 

The recommendations on collaborative tools have also been very practical and a good source of reference for a virtual team to work together. I have already experience on Google Drive as I used this tool at University to complete projects with co-students. Meeting virtually was a need we had to face and Google Drive was a useful tool to achieve these online meetings. It was a positive experience as it allowed me personally to expand my knowledge on virtual communication and learn tools such as Google Drive and Doodle. I believe that if I was working in such conditions again, an instant messaging tool, like Slack would be really useful. It would enable direct conversation and to ask/answer questions as sometimes there is need to converse on a project and solve issues on the spot. Another tool I have been using for online collaboration is OneNote Online. I have been using OneNote the last couple of years at work and I have been amazed of its interface and possibilities. It as a great way for a team whose members are not working in the same location to access documents and edit them on a cloud environment without the necessity to meet personally. 

Keeping all the above in mind I think networking and brand enhancement will be in my New Year's resolutions list. Thank you, RUDAI team!


Comments

Popular Posts

Badge 1

Badge 2