Communicating visually (Rudai Thing #4)

The public library of the area I used to live has been run by volunteers for the last three years. I am one of them and I manage their social media accounts and their website. One of the events this library holds regularly is book sales. So given the chance that next month's book sale will be about Halloween, I wanted to create an image to add to our poster and complete the fourth task for "Rudai 23 Things for Information Skills".

I downloaded Photofunia and went to the Halloween category to select a background. I particularly liked the Cemetery gates, so I started experimenting with different phrases to see how they looked on the entrance. I soon realised that this was a disappointment as Photofunia does not give you the option to control the size of the fonts and the space available for typing is limited. For example I want to use the phrase "Books take u anywhere", but the final letter is cut:




Unfortunate, the issue remains with all backgrounds that use text:




I do not wish to use a photo template, I believe a phrase will be more effective to attract audience to our book sale. I played around a bit with other categories and Photofunia does not offer many options of text templates. It is more photo-orientated, which does not work well for our activities, at least.

I think I will be using Photofunia more for me personally (e.g. to create images with my own photos) than for the activities we host at the library. I am willing to recommend it to the other volunteers, though in case they can get more creative and think of shorter phrases for our posters!

Comments

Popular Posts

Badge 1

Badge 2