Why I became a librarian (Rudai Thing #2)

I was asked how and why I became a librarian in a job interview once. Funny that I hadn't reflected on this simple thing till then.

The truth is that I did not choose conscientiously to get involved with libraries in a professional level. I have loved books and reading since I was little so I guess fate played its small trick and had me ended up working in a library - well, different libraries. 

It was completely by chance that I turned out to be what I am. The educational system in my home country was such two decades ago (and still is in a way) that a pupil about to finish high school had to sit for the national exams in order to get admission to a University school. The grades obtained through these exams determined in which school you would study, based on the choices you had made from a list of the schools provided.

The library school was nearly the last choice in my list; back then I was fascinated by archaeology and history and wanted to study one of these subjects. Nevertheless, fate had other plans and I was finally accepted in the library school. I remember my mom telling me then that my dream had come true because when I was a kid I had told her once that I wanted to have a huge room full of books so that I can read all the time. The fascinating journey in the library world had began. And, alas, it would prove that not everything is about books in it.

The studies for the BA degree lasted around four years. Facing an uncertain future afterwards, I was lucky again to get a job as a corporate librarian in a consulting/project management company. This "love affair" lasted twelve years and helped me grow up as a professional and a person.

However, all relationships come to en end eventually and after fifteen years I made up my mind to go back to University for a second degree - again on libraries. I moved to the UK, finished with a MA after a year and I am happy to realise that the love affair between libraries and me still continues :-)

Comments

Popular Posts

Badge 1

Badge 2